What should I do if my travel is disrupted by severe weather?
This depends on your policy level of cover.
- Before you do anything, always contact your booking agent, tour operator or transport provider first to find out the latest information for your travel arrangements. If the transport has been cancelled, indefinitely postponed or the airport / station / port is closed, you may be told not to go to your departure point.
- If you booked all elements of your trip through a tour operator as a package, you should be able to get a refund for these through them. Some of your costs may not be met if you have booked elements of your holiday separately.
- As soon as you are aware that you may have to reschedule your trip, you should contact the provider of each element of your trip to see what alternative arrangements can be made.
Essential policies only:
- There is no cover provided for any claims arising from delayed departure, cancellation (abandonment) or additional transport and/or accommodation costs.
Premier policies only:
- Delayed departure benefit - If you are delayed for more than 12 hours at the place your transport is meant to go from, we will pay you £25 for each 12 hours you are delayed (£250 max.)
- Cancellation cover - If the departure of your transport is delayed for more than 24 hours or cancelled and this cannot be rearranged for more than 24 hours, cover is provided for costs up to £10,000 on the Premier policy if you decide to cancel or abandon your trip.
- Additional transport and accommodation cover* - If you decide to continue with your trip after being delayed for more than 24 hours or because your transport was cancelled and no alternative could be found within 24 hours of your original departure time, we will reimburse you up to £1,000 for additional transport and accommodation costs (to a similar standard of your pre-booked arrangements) you have to pay to reach your destination or to get home.
- Lost accommodation costs* - If you continued with your trip after being delayed for more than 24 hours or your transport was cancelled and no alternative could be found within 24 hours of your original departure time, we will reimburse you for each full day (24 hours) that you could not use your pre-booked accommodation.
- Missed departure - If you're unable to reach your departure point because of severe weather (regardless if you are still in the UK or already on your trip) and you miss your pre-booked transport, we'll reimburse you up to £1,000 for additional transport or accommodation costs you have to pay to reach your destination or return home.
*Please note that we won't make any payments which are not additional to costs you were expecting to pay, eg if you get a refund and the cost of alternative transport or accommodation is less than the refund. See our travel insurance policy documents for full details.