What should I do if my travel is disrupted by natural disasters or strikes?
Always contact your booking agent, tour operator or transport provider first to find out the latest information for your travel arrangements. If the transport has been cancelled, indefinitely postponed or the airport / station / port is closed, you may be told not to go to your departure point.
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) may provide information (visit www.fco.gov.uk/travelaware).If the FCO advise against travel to a destination your LV= travel policy will not cover you if you then choose to go there. However, you are covered to make a claim for the cancellation of your trip before you travel.
- There is no cover if you buy a policy or book a trip after the incident has been reported in the media. In all cases, if you're unsure if you can make a claim, please call our claims line on 0800 707 6967.
If you have an Essential policy:
- There is no cover for any claims arising from delayed departure, you choosing to cancel or abandon your trip, or additional transport and/or accommodation costs.
If you have a Premier policy:
- If you are delayed for more than 12 hours at the place your transport is meant to go from, we will pay you £25 for each 12 hours you are delayed (up to £250)
- If your transport is delayed for more than 24 hours or cancelled and this cannot be rearranged for more than 24 hours, cover is provided up to £10,000 should you decide to cancel or abandon your trip
- If you decide to continue with your trip after being delayed for more than 24 hours or because your transport was cancelled and no alternative can be found within 24 hours of your original departure time, we will reimburse you up to £1,000 for additional transport and accommodation costs (to a similar standard as your booked arrangements) you have to pay to reach your destination or to get home. We will also reimburse you for each full day (24 hours) that you could not use your pre-booked accommodation. (Please note you are only covered for additional costs that you were not expecting to pay, eg there is no cover if you get a refund and the cost of alternative transport or accommodation is less than the refund. See our travel insurance policy documents for full details.)
- If you're unable to reach your departure point in time for the departure of your booked transport because of the disaster or strike (regardless of whether you are still in the UK or already on your trip), we'll reimburse you up to £1,000 for additional transport or accommodation costs you have to pay to reach your destination or return home.