We have a European Health Insurance card (EHIC). Do we need travel insurance?

Published 18/03/2016 11.19 AM   |    Updated 31/08/2019 01.05 AM

Although an EHIC entitles you to a level of free medical cover while you're abroad, it is not an alternative to travel insurance. An EHIC means you'll have access to the same medical care that is provided in state facilities to the nationals of the countries where it applies (European Economic Area countries and Switzerland). It's important to be aware that treatment may not always be free, even with the EHIC.

An LV= travel insurance policy provides up to £10 million emergency medical cover outside the UK as well as things like:
- Lost costs if you need to cancel or cut a trip short due to illness
- Transport costs to get you home if you can't use your original scheduled transport arrangements due to illness
- The costs for someone to arrange for someone to travel to you if it's medically necessary

Find out more and get a quote for LV= travel insurance online - or call us on 0800 022 3919

Lines are open:

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm Saturday and bank holidays
10am - 4pm Sunday

Calls will be recorded. For Text Phone: dial 18001 first.



Did we answer your question?